Over the last 100 years, there have been massive leaps in the evolution of TV technology. From tiny screens in huge cabinets, to huge screens with no cabinet. From black & white to glorious colour. Truly amazing!
Bite size evolution of TV
- 1920s – Introduction of the mechanical television in large cabinets
- 1930s – Improvement in picture quality and cabinet design
- 1940s – 480 lines of resolution and improved audio
- 1950s – Porthole TVs appeared then quickly disappeared. Emergence of the first colour TVs but expensive.
- 1960s – Colour TVs become cheaper and start to sell really well. Introduction of the remote control.
- 1970s – Explosion of different television designs with some including cassette and radio players.
- 1980s – The furniture aspect of TV design disappeared and screens got larger. LCD made its debut.
- 1990s – Combination TV/VCR were quite popular. Technology advanced with the first flat HDTV being introduced. Plasma televisions also debuted.
- 2000s – CRT TVs remained popular as HD channels could be accessed with an inexpensive top box. LED TVs arrived to compete with LCD and Plasma. HDTVs started to get smarter.
- 2010s – 4K, LED and 3D televisions took off. TVs also became smarter and more affordable. They even got even thinner so many people began mounting them on walls.
- 2020s – Watch this space!
Pro TV Perth & Joondalup
You may also be interested in:
Based on 107 reviews